Friday, May 15, 2020

Gulliver's Travel (A Voyage to Lilliput , Chapter -5)

The empire of Blefuscu is an island situated to the north -east of Lilliput , from which it is parted only by a channel of eight hundred yards wide. I had not yet seen it, and upon this notice of an intended invasion,I avoided appearing on the side of that coast, for fear of being discovered by some of enemy ' s ship,who had received no intelligence of me ; all intercourse between the two empires having been strictly forbidden , during the war, upon pain of death , and an embargo laid by our emperor upon all vessels whatsoever. I communicated to his majesty a project I had former of seizing the enemy' s whole fleet ; which , as our scouts assured us, lay at anchor in the harbour , ready to sail with the first fair wind. I consulted the most experienced sea man upon the depth of the channel, which they had often plumbed , who told me , that in the middle , at high water it was seventy Glumgluffs deep , which is about six feet of European measure. I walked towards the north -east coast , over against Blefuscu , I took off my small perspective glass , and viewed the enemy's fleet at anchor , consisting of about fifty men of war and a great number of transport. Having thus fixed fifty hooks to as many cables , I went to the north-east coast, and putting off my shoes, coat and stockings walked into the sea. I waded with what haste I could and swan in the middle about thirty yards. I arrived in the fleet in less than half an hour . The enemy was so frightened when they saw me , that they leaped out of their ships ,and swam to shore .The enemy discharged seven thousand arrows many of which stuck in hands and face ,gave me much disturbance in my work .
The Emperor and the whole court stood on the shore ,expecting the issue of this great adventure. They saw the shops move forward in q large half - moon . when I advanced to the middle of the channel they were yet more in pain, because I was under water to my neck. The Emperor concluded me to be drowned ,and that's the enemy's fleet was approaching in a hostile manner : but he was soon eased to his fear .

His Majesty desired I would take some another opportunity of bringing all the rest of his enemy's ships into his ports. And so immeasurable is the ambition of princes, that he seemed to think of nothing less than reducing the whole empire of Blefuscu into a province and governing it, by a viceroy, of destroying the Big - endies exiles, But I endeavoured to divert from his design, by many arguments drawn from the topics of policy as well as justice and I plainly protested .
About three weeks after this exploit , there arrived a solemn embassy from Blefuscu , with humbly offers of a peace , upon conditions very advantageous to our Emperor . There were six ambassadors with a train of about five hundred persons and their entry was very magnificent. When their was finished , They began with many compliments upon my valour and generosity, invited me to that kingdom and desired me to show them some proofs of my prodigious strength ,of which they had heard so many wonders .
When I had entertained their excellencies ,I desired they would do me the honour , before I returned to my own country . It is to be observed that these ambassadors spoke to me , by an interpreter . When I signed those articles upon which I recovered my liberty , there were some which I disliked . However, it was not long before I had an opportunity of doing his majesty . I was alarmed at midnight with the cries of many hundred pro at my door , by which , suddenly awaked , I was in some kind of terror. I heard the word Burglum repeated incessantly several times making their way through the crowd, entreated me to come immediately to the palace , where her majesty's palace was on fire. I got up in an instant; and orders being given to clear the way before me, and it being likewise a moonshine night, I made a shift to get to the palace without being trampling on any of the people. I found they had already applied ladders to the wall of the appartment .I had the evening before, drunk plentifully of a most delicious wine called Glimigrim . I had not discharged myself of any part of it. The heat I had contacted by coming very near the flames and by labouring to quench them, made the wine begin to operate by urine; which I voided in such a quantity, and applied so well to the proper places, that in three minutes the fire was wholly extinguished, which had cost so many in erecting , preserved from destruction.

1 comment:

Gulliver's Travels

Gulliver's Travels

                                                    A voyage to Lilliput        Chapter-7 and 8         Gulliver came to know of an intr...